Thursday, October 28, 2010

Falling leaves and changing winds





Fall is definitely one of my favorite seasons. At least one of my favorite 4 :-) But seriously, the long shadows, the light that makes everything look like it's a painting, the crisp leaves, the crisp air, the way that everyone around me always seems to be revitalized and re-energized and moving forward after the heavy heat of Summer...I love it. I also happen to love apples, apple cider, apple crisp, candles, wood fires, Fall wine tasting, breaking back out the boots and leather...all those sensual aspects of Fall. Here are some shots of my hometown, Enfield, CT in Fall.



I apologize for being so remiss with sharing any thoughts on here lately. Not that I expect that my blog is widely read or anticipated, but, I did want to commit to having a forum to share some things beyond just music, so... we'll try to catch up here :-)

Music is flowing along nicely. There have been some cool developments with projects produced by friends of mine, some of whom you may know: Charles Czarnecki, Frosty Lawson, Kenjamin Franklin...

Yesterday I sang a duet with Olamide Faison of a song called "Someone Like You," which I believe was cut from Dirty Dancing. The songwriters are now releasing the song, and our in-studio performances were video-taped for sharing on the web, to help raise awareness of the Patrick Swayze Cancer Foundation, and of course, the Broadway musical of "Dirty Dancing" that will apparently be coming to NY. The video should be posted on www.RadioFreeNY.com but I'm not sure when.

I've also been singing more commercials and jingles, new TV themes, working with my great network of people who write and produce for TV and advertising. It's one of my favorite things to do, to take on the character of the project, whether it's a soccer mom or a femme fatale ;-)

Beyond that, though, the big shifts occurring seem to be within. Which is fine. This time of year is always more "down" as we get into the darker time of year, and the transition from Summer into Fall into Winter always is an interesting dynamic including "hurry up and finish it before the year is out", and "You can't get anything done now, if it isn't already started, don't bother...the holidays are too crazy." I feel like both, at times. Things feel kinda status quo- I mean, I will actually live in this apartment for a WHOLE YEAR, which is exciting, considering I never lived anywhere longer than 4 months for 2 years before that...but at the same time, those changing winds and falling leaves stir up thoughts of "where to, next?" My music is spiralling upwards in a beautiful positive fashion, as I always want it to do, but branching into some new and interesting territory, like how much I absolutely love doing house concerts and private parties, or writing songs for commission (for people's weddings, other landmark life events, or just for entertainment). I'm having a lot more fun playing live gigs at "non-traditional venues", basically meaning, venues that aren't clubs built specifically for live music. I'm thinking it would be fun to do a lot more shows at colleges, yoga studios, people's homes, etc in the coming months.

I'm heading to LA in January to do a full sweep of that town. Haven't been in over 2 years. It'll be good to reconnect with some pals out there, a few of whom left the Big Apple for the sunshine and ended up staying.

For those of you interested in the live music, here's where I'm playing in the next week:

HOUSE CONCERT in ARDSLEY, NY to benefit the unfolding of the next album
Saturday, October 30
8 pm- 10:30 pm
Location emailed to you upon ticket purchase
All ages welcome
Tickets: http://alivewithclive.tv/cassandrakubinski.htm


If you're not near Ardsley, please forward this page to your friends in Westchester and suggest they attend! If you cannot attend the house concert but would like to support the album, you can purchase tickets anyway via the link above, or, check out the below blog that details other ways to get involved, including house concerts and sponsorship.


ORIGINS series at CAFFE VIVALDI, featuring DAVID IPPOLITO, "That Guitar Man From Central Park"- www.thatguitarman.com
Hosted by Cassandra Kubinski
Wednesday, November 3
9 - 11 PM
Caffe Vivaldi (32 Jones St, just north of Bleecker by 7 Ave south)
No Cover, tip jar passed

"Origins" features songwriters playing their original songs, plus the songs that they feel make up their "musical origins", i.e. the music that most influenced their development into songwriters. Part interview, part performance, all surprising, revealing, and fun!




Since I'm thinking about it, congratulations to my artist friends who have committed to shifts and changes, or recommitted to projects of passion: Brooke Ferris (www.brookeferris.com) on her upcoming Nov cabarets at The Duplex; Annie Fitzgerald (www.anniefitzgerald.com) on her absolutely gorgeous album "In Good Time" and her tour; James Adamo (www.jamesadamo.com) on his upcoming album release; Randy Stern (www.randystern.info) on his impending move to Austin, TX and Kickstarter.com campaign to raise funds; Natasha Alexandra (www.NLXmusic.com) on her awesome video for "Young Love". You can hear and see all these people on their websites, YouTube, Myspace, etc.

Gonna hit up some yoga and then have ice cream with my sister tonight (it's all about balance, right?), while we are having this "Indian Summer" in the middle of Fall.

I hope that whatever is in transition in your life right now is bringing you to a higher, better place, and carrying with it much peace, joy, and love. See you soon!

Cassandra

No comments:

Post a Comment