Sunday, April 11, 2010

Come to My Show (or, "What I Love About Cass is How Subtle She Is")

One of the best parts about living in NYC is how much music there is, and the mindblowing variety of it. Last night, I went to see my friend Tom D'Angelo's new variety show at Club Iguana. Tom does a Bobby Darin tribute show, and is a really good jazz/swingin'/cabaret entertainer. He drinks Jack onstage, plays with a great combo including John DiPinto on keys, Ritt Henn on bass, and Bobby Sher on drums (the MetroJam band), and Tom features special guests each month. Last night's guest was Jenna Esposito, whom I have been meaning to see for a while after meeting her years ago at the Birdland Cast Party theatre "jam". She sparkled as usual in her tribute to Connie Francis (her CD pays tribute to Connie). Rob Langeder was also featured, and I was completely blown away by his voice, his charm, and his demeanor onstage.

Anyway, Brooke and I started the evening out with that jazzy/theatre-y thing, and then, right after, Iguana was doing a salsa night. So there we are, 5 minutes after the show, and the salsa, merengue, bachata, and mambo come on. Oh boy. Brooke and I DANCE. That's all I can say. It was all I could do to be a good little responsible artist and get my butt home to work on the set list for tonight's show.

It just rocks my world that you can go from theatre to jazz to salsa to swing to pop to rock to house/trance, pretty much within a few blocks of one another, almost every night of the week in NYC. Rock. Out.

Which I'm doing tonight at 5 pm, at Rockwood Music Hall. There's something really special about realizing that, in that throbbing musical pulse of New York, every one of us who gets up to sing a song, play an instrument, or somehow change the vibration in the room is delivering blood to that vital musical heart in the city. I love it. So, if you're reading this in NYC, come join me this afternoon to celebrate Spring and its good vibrations:

Sunday, April 11
5 PM
Rockwood Music Hall (196 Allen St, just below Houston)
No Cover
21+

I'm debuting 6 new songs, some of which I'm currently in pre-production for with Edd Kalehoff, who I personally think is one of the most talented, soulful, hard rocking and magical producers and composers working in music. What an honor to be working with him. Yummy.

I'll tell some stories at the show (both in prose and in my music), feature the lovely Melissa Wrolstad on violin, and sing to you about love, sex, God, childhood, and the city, while I bang on the amazing 1901 grand piano at Rockwood.

Then we will After Party like rockstars at Agozar, the Cuban bistro I love on Bowery and Bleecker, where you can get a free mojito if you sign up as a fan on their Facebook page. They had me at "free", but "mojito" really sweetened the deal.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000940925435&ref=search&sid=510949784.1727751553..1#!/agozar.best.cuban.bar.restaurant?ref=ts

It's a love fest, people.

see ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment